Dog couches are a fun way to let your dog sleep in style!
They add an original aspect to your home decor, in addition to giving your dog a nice comfortable space to sleep. Visitors will no doubt comment on the unusual and unique bed you’ve purchased for your pooch!
But which dog couch beds are best? We’re covering top picks and buying guide points to keep in mind while shopping.
Quick Picks: Best Dog Bed Sofas
What to Consider When Purchasing A Dog Bed Sofa
- Similar to Raised Dog Beds, But Without Some Advantages. Dog sofas fall under the category of elevated dog beds, although most lack many of the core advantages of classic raised beds (such as temperature control, extra support, and ease of cleaning). However, the raised surface of dog sofa beds does make it less stressful on joints when dogs get on and off the bed.
- Measure Bed’s Height Compared To Your Dog’s. Dogs must be able to comfortably get on and off the sofa bed, so you’ll want to avoid getting a couch that’s too high for your dog to get onto easily. Consider your dog’s height and the size of the couch before purchasing.
- Pricier Than Traditional Beds. Dog sofa beds are as much a fashion accessory as they are a comfort necessity for your pooch. Since most dog couch beds are designed to be stylish, attractive, and to resemble human couches, they tend to be more expensive than traditional dog beds (although not exorbitantly so).
- Widest Selection for Small to Medium Dogs. The vast majority of sofa beds for dogs are designed for small to medium sized dogs. While there are some made for larger dogs as well, smaller dogs will have access to the widest selection.
- Your Style & Home Decor. Let’s be honest – your dog doesn’t really care if his bed resembles an antique 18th-century parlor room chair. While functionally, the sofa bed is for your dog, the design and look is all up to you. Think about the dog bed design you will enjoy most (you walk by it every day after all), and seek out a dog couch that matches your home decor and style.
In addition to the points listed here, you’ll also want to consider the buying criteria you’d use for any other dog bed. Do you want a bed that’s easy to wash, with removable cushion covers that are machine washable? Or are you OK with washing your dog sofa bed by hand?
Is your dog prone to accidents? If so, you may want a dog couch bed that has waterproof cushioning.
Also keep in mind materials and your dog’s temperament. Is your dog a destructive chewer? Most dog sofa beds aren’t made to withstand heavy chewing, so you may want to consider a chew proof dog bed over a more fashionable, yet fragile, dog couch bed.
About: The Enchanted Home Pet Library Sofa is a classic style dog sofa bed, with high-quality, furniture-grade construction.
The bed’s wooden legs elevate the bed, providing a draft-free sleeping area.
The arm sides also serve as bolsters, making this a great bed for dogs that like to lean against sides and cuddle up!
The bed measures 40″ X 30″ X 18″and can hold dogs up to 75 lbs.
About: This Dallas Faux Leather Sofa Bed makes a great addition to homes that are already loaded with leather furniture.
The bed is filled with recycled polyester fiber fill for comfort. Many owners report that this bed is good quality and holds up well under canine lounging!
This bed is also fairly easy to clean, as the cover can be removed and thrown into the washing machine without issue.
The Dallas Faux Leather dog sofa bed sits on the ground, lacking any legs to raise it up. This means that while the design is cute, it won’t end up resembling a real piece of furniture, like many of the other dog couch beds here.
While this bed is a fine choice for small to medium sized dogs, it’s not large enough for bigger breeds.
About: This Dreamcatcher Couch-Style Dog Bed comes in a beautiful cream color, with gold studs for design.
This furniture-grade quality bed has wooden legs that raise it off the floor, keeping your dog clean and proving extra storage space for treats and toys!
While the sofa structure and fabric are good quality, not all owners are thrilled with the inner cushion (which some note is very hard and misshapen).
The bottom cushion features a removable cover, making it easy to throw in the washing machine for cleaning.
While its style is unbeatable, it’s worth noting that this bed is only suitable for small dogs – the bed is only designed to hold dogs up to 30 lbs (with some owners saying that even 25 lb dogs might be a tight fit).
About: The Keet Orthopedic Dog Bed Couch features a firm wooden frame with comfy, orthopedic memory foam cushioning.
Again, as with several other sofa dog beds, this bed is only suitable for small to medium sized dogs up to 40 lbs (although some owners with 50 lb dogs report that it’s a decent enough size for them as well).
The cushion cover is removable and machine washable, so it should be fairly easy to clean.
This bed also comes with matching throw pillows, as well as a mat and toy! It’s an all-in-one furniture set for your furry friend.
About: The Manchester Velvet Tufted Dog Sofa Bed from Enchanted Home.
This fancy sofa for dogs features velvet material with silver nailhead accents, along with biscuit tufting on the couch cushion.
It’s durable, sturdy quality you’d find in other pieces of furniture. It also has a side pocket for storing toys, as well as raised side arms that are great for dogs that like to lean.
The Manchester Velvet dog couch bed is available in navy or gray, and can hold dogs up to 50lbs. It does not have a removable cover, so it will need to be spot cleaned.
About: The Chevron Snuggle Pet Couch Bed is another dog sofa from Enchanted Home, featuring a stylish chevron design.
The raised sides make this a great bolster dog bed, perfect for canines that like to curl up to get comfy.
As with other Enchanted Home beds, this sofa has legs that raised up the bed, letting your pup sleep without a draft.
This bed is quite small though – it’s only suitable for dogs up to 10 lbs.
This is the 4th bed we’ve covered that is manufactured by Enchanted Home – they have an enormous selection of dog sofa beds in a wide variety of styles. If you don’t see anything you like here, make sure to check out the full collection of Enchanted Home dog sofa beds – you’re pretty much guaranteed to find something that you like.
About: The BioMedic Modern Dog Sofa Bed is manufactured by Max Comfort – a company that has past experience producing commercial children’s furniture, but has more recently opened the door to dog furniture as well.
Max Comfort’s history in the furniture business can help testify to this dog bed’s quality – this couch bed features a sturdy wooden frame and high-density foam cushions, designed to alleviate canine joint pain with comforting memory foam.
One of the most remarkable features of this bed is that it’s the only couch-style bed we’ve seen that is suitable for larger dogs.
This bed is available in several sizes, from extra small to XXL. Note that price changes depending on size, with the XXL site fairly pricey. However, the XXL size is able to hold dogs over 100 lbs – a feature that no other couch dog bed in this list can match.
Have you ever used a dog bed couch with your canine? What did they think of it? Share your thoughts in the comments!