Cleaning up after your four-legged friend is part of the gig for dog owners.
You must dry spilled water from the kitchen floor, scoop up the crumbs surrounding her food dish and collect the toys she scatters around the house.
And yet we do this without complaining too much, because it is a small price to pay for the unconditional love our pups provide.
But there is one cleaning chore that even the most dedicated dog owner among us despise: Vacuuming up the hair your dog leaves in her wake. If her hair isn’t tumbleweeding across your living room, it’s sticking to your couch like it was glued in place.
It’s a problem as frustrating as it is familiar, and you’ve probably spent more than one weekend trying to bushwhack your way through a mountain of dog hair only to give up when your vacuum isn’t up to the task.
That’s a problem, and we’re here to help you solve it.
Features to Look for in a Dog Hair Vacuum
Most economy vacuums are rarely capable of dealing with large quantities of hair – instead, owners of furry, four-legged friends need high-quality vacuums that can help deal with your puppy hair problem. Some vacuum models are designed specifically to pick up canine hair!
There’s nothing fundamentally different about a vacuum that works well for picking up dog hair – it really comes down to the quality of the unit and the features it offers.
In fact, most vacuums that excel at dealing with the archeological layer of dog hair covering your kitchen floor will also be pretty good at handling your day-to-day cleaning needs.
Some of the features that you want in a dog-hair destroying vacuum include:
- Horsepower. Simply put, vacuums that provide superior suction will work better for removing dog hair out of the fibers of your carpet and the nooks and crannies in your couch. In fact, after using a high-powered vacuum for the first time, many dog owners are shocked at how much hair their old vacuum was leaving behind.
- Allergen Filtration. Shed hair isn’t the only thing your dog is leaving around your home – he’s also leaving tiny flakes of dead skin everywhere (you are too, but your own skin cells probably won’t tickle your nose). It is actually these particles, and not your dog’s hair, that are typically responsible for allergies. Because these particles are very small, you need a quality allergen filter to ensure the vacuum doesn’t shoot them back out into the room.
- A Variety of Attachments. While you can remove most of the dog hair in your home with the base vacuum unit, you’ll need plenty of attachments to tend to those hard-to-clean places, like stairs. Brush-tipped attachments are typically the most helpful for removing hair from carpet or upholstery, but narrow attachments will help you get into the tightest cracks and crevices.
5 Best Vacuums For Dog Hair: Packed With Power
Below, we’ve compiled 5 different vacuum cleaners that are specifically made for pet owners.
They are all high-powered vacuums that feature some type of allergen filtration and a variety of different attachments. All five have received rave reviews, even if a few of them have minor problems.
Consider your home and your needs (including the relative amount of hair your dog sheds – some dogs are worse shedders than others are) and select the model that best suits your life!
About: The Dyson DC41 Animal Vacuum is one of the best-rated vacuums for cleaning up dog hair. It performs incredibly, but like most other Dyson vacuums, the DC41 is a premium product with a premium price tag.
Price: $$$$ (see price on Amazon)
- The Dyson uses a ball-pivot design, which provides maneuverability, even in very tight spaces
- If you purchase your Dyson from an authorized dealer, you’ll obtain a 5-year warranty on parts and labor
- Incredibly powerful cleaner head works well for removing stubborn patches of hair
- Touch-free bin emptying design
About: The Hoover WindTunnel Dog Vacuum is a light-weight, high-powered vacuum cleaner that is available at a relatively low price point. Yet despite this consumer-friendly price tag, the WindTunnel Pet Rewind performs nearly as well as many higher-priced models do.
Price: $$$ (see price on Amazon)
- Multi-position height adjustment provides the flexibility you need to vacuum any surface you’ll encounter
- Bagless collection system for convient disposal
- Includes 2 different attachments specifically designed for dealing with pet hair
- Features a button-activated cord retrieval system that eliminates the need to wrap up the cord after use
- Available in 3 different colors
About: The Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments is a great choice for pet owners who prefer canister-style vacuums rather than uprights. Like most small vacuums, this 9-pound-vacuum is best-suited for apartment dwellers, and its superior allergen filtration makes it an especially good choice for dog owners.
Price: $$ (see price on Amazon)
- The vacuum’s telescoping wand makes it easy to reach under or behind furniture
- The Eureka Mighty Mite comes with a 1-year, limited warranty
- Uses odor-fighting dust bags to help keep your home smelling fresh
- Features a HEPA filter that will capture more than 99 percent of pet dander
About: The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum is a great choice for those with only minor hair-removal needs.
While it is obviously not suitable for vacuuming entire rooms, the Bissell dog vacuum is a wonderful tool for vacuuming the hair off furniture, drapes, blankets, rugs and other small areas.
Price: $ (see price on Amazon)
- The mouth of the vacuum is surrounded by a rubber nozzle designed to attract and retain pet hair
- Multi-level filtration system helps trap hair, dirt and dander
- The Bissell Pet Hair Vacuum comes with a limited, 1-year warranty
- Bagless design makes emptying the unit quick and easy
About: The Bissell PowerEdge Corded Pet Vacuum is an ideal choice for those living in carpet-free homes. While it isn’t designed to clean your carpet, the PowerEdge Pet is the perfect tool for picking up the hair on your hardwood, tile or linoleum floor.
Price: $ (see price on Amazon)
- V-shaped design helps funnel debris toward the center of the unit, where the suction is strongest
- The Bissell PowerEdge dog vacuum is a lightweight vacuum, weighing only 7.1 lbs
- The swiveling design makes it easy to vacuum around furniture and other obstacles
- Bagless design makes clean up quick and easy
Have you tried any of the models discussed above? We’d love to hear about your experiences. Or perhaps you know of an effective, yet under-the-radar vacuum for dog hair that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!