Does your dog or puppy have “potty issues” and is going all over the house? Indoor grass potty patches could help provide a solution.
Why Dogs Need Potty Patches
Dogs may be in need of potty patches for any number of reasons, including:
- Puppies Being Housebroken. When you are first house training a puppy, they will doubtlessly have accidents. Puppy potty patches can help make training easier, especially if going outdoors constantly isn’t a viable solution.
- Older Incontinent Dogs. Older dogs can’t hold their bladder in for as long as younger dogs. Sometimes they just can’t make it outside in time. Senior dogs also may suffer from kidney issues or arthritis, making it much more difficult for them to make trips inside and outside all day. Indoor potty patches allows your senior dog to relieve himself without feeling ashamed or stressed.
- Dogs Who Have Have Surgery, Mobility, or Bladder Issues. Dogs who can’t get around easily (for any number of reasons) or who can’t go outside to toilet following a surgery may be great candidates for dog potty patches. Also, any dogs who have general bladder issues may require an indoor potty solution.
- Bad Weather. In some cases, weather can be so bad that owners would rather not (or are physically unable) to take their dogs outside. In these cases, dog indoor potty pads offer a great solution.
- Apartment Living. For owners who live in large apartments or high rises with dozens of floors, taking your dog out constantly to go to the bathroom may simply not be very practical. Doggy potty pads can make things considerably easier.
Why Grass Potty Pads?
More and more owners are turning to grass potty patches like Fresh Patch for their dogs. There are several advantages specific to grass potty patches, such as:
- Good For Picky Dogs. Some dogs are very particular about where they relieve themselves – these dogs often won’t go for synthetic grass pads or plastic dog potty pads. For them, grass potty pads are often the best solution.
- Eco-Friendly. Grass potty pads are often eco-friendly, since they can be easily composted and don’t put strain on the environment.
- Odor-Free. The absorbency of real grass often combats smelly urine odors.
- Easy to Dispose. Grass dog pee pads like Fresh Patch are the easiest solution for owners, since they can simply be disposed of after use. Synthetic grass alternatives are a hassle to clean, requiring owners to rinse out urine trays, and plastic sheets aren’t much fun to dispose of either.
- Other Pets Like Them Too! Grass potty pads can often also be used with cats and even bunnies!
Grass Potty Pad Reviews
In this post, we’ll be detailing some of the most popular and most highly recommended grass potty pads.
We’ll be focusing a lot on Fresh Patch, which was recently featured on Shark Tank. In addition, we’ll be reviewing a grass potty pad that’s a Fresh Patch alternative, a potty pad made of synthetic grass, and a classic plastic sheet potty pad offering.
All of these dog potty pads come highly reviewed on Amazon, so any are a pretty decent bet!
About: The Fresh Patch is a “real grass” potty box that is fully disposable. Fresh Patch has received tons of attention ever since its appearance on Shark Tank.
Price: $, with exact pricing based on the size of your pet and depending on your retailer.
- Size. The Fresh Patch grass pads come in 16×24 inches, which is plenty of space for dogs up to 25 lbs. If you need more space, you can join multiple Fresh Patch units together.
- Special Grass. Fresh Patch features hydroponically-grown grass that is light-weight, long-lasting, and dirt-free.
- Eco-Friendly. The Fresh Patch servers as an eco-friendly alternative to synthetic plastic dog potty pads.
- Absorbs Odors. The complex root structure of the Fresh Patch grass absorbs urine and odors.
- Attractive Scent. The grass scent naturally attracts dogs, ensuring that they’ll be interested in using the potty pad.
- Easy and Disposable. No reusable parts to clean or replace, making disposal a breeze.
- Great Alternative to Going Outside. Fresh Patch is ideal for apartment dwelling, busy schedules, and avoidance of early-day, late-night, or bad-weather dog-walks.
Dogs love that Fresh Patch is real grass – they are much more inclined to use pads like this compared to standard indoor potty pads. This makes Fresh Patch a great option for dogs who are particularly fussy about where they go to relieve themselves.
Owners testify that the Fresh Patch doesn’t smell bad at all – it really is great at absorbing smells and urine odors. Owners also love that it comes in a pizza box form that you can just throw away, making the process all too easy, no cleaning required!
Although the vast majority of dogs love Fresh Patch, some dogs will still reject it and opt for the real thing.
Owners note that the cardboard bottom can fall apart if it gets too wet, so keep elevated or use rubber mat if on a deck or wet area. A couple owners report receiving yellow, old grass in their shipment, but that does not seem to be common. The only other con is that Fresh Patch isn’t the cheapest option on the market.
About: If you’re not digging the Fresh Patch, there are other similar options out there. DoggieLawn is one such Fresh Patch alternative.
Price: $, very comparable to Fresh Patch, with a range of prices based on pet size.
Where to Get It: Available on Amazon and other retailers.
- Size. This Fresh Patch alternative comes in 24.75 x 21 inch pads (the largest potty pads on the market).
- Real Grass. DoggieLawn is made of real grass which absorbs liquids and odors.
- Completely Disposable. DoggieLawn is entirely disposable so there’s no mess, no odor and no cleaning except for the removal of pet solids.
- Eco-Friendly. A more environmentally-friendly alternative to plastic puppy potty pads.
- Easy to Use. Just take the lid off the cardboard box (which is lined to prevent leakage) and place the potty in a designated “potty zone” to begin training your dog on the grass.
- Free Training Consultation. DoggieLawn provides free training via telephone consultation if you’re having a tough time getting your dog acclimated to the grass potty pads.
Doggie Lawn may work for dogs who don’t take to other pads. It’s very similar to Fresh Patch, with the main advantage being the free training consultation and slightly larger pads.
Some owners note that their dogs tend to lose interest when the grass starts to die. Others consider the DoggieLawn pads overpriced.
Fresh Patch vs Doggielawn
Fresh Patch and DoggieLawn are very similar products – both are dog pee pads made with real grass, which can be disposed of after use.
What’s The Same?
- Real Grass. Both are disposable dog potty pads with real grass. In essence, their products are nearly identical.
- Price. Both items are priced very similarly, with prices changing depending on size.
- Size. DoggieLawn pads are slightly larger than Fresh Patch (DoggieLawn is 24.75 x 21, while Fresh Patch is 24 x 16).
- Free Training. DoggieLawn commits to providing free training calls to customers who need help teaching their dog how to use the grass dog pee pad. You may be able to get help with Fresh Patch too, but DoggieLawn promises training consultation if needed, which may be an advantage for owners with finicky dogs.
Which is Best?
Ultimately, both products are worthy of your consideration. Those who definitely want training help might prefer DoggieLawn, but Fresh Patch might be just fine for your needs as well. We recommend trying both and deciding which works best for your individual dog and his/her preferences.
Next, we’ll look at a few dog potty pads that do not use real grass, but instead use synthetic grass or plastic pee pads.
About: The PetZoom Pet Park is another dog potty pad solution, using synthetic grass rather than real grass.
Where to Find It: Available from Amazon or other retailers.
- Made With Synthetic Grass. Pet Park is made of synthetic grass that looks and feels real to dogs (and heck, probably to people too).
- Weather-Proof. Since Pet Park grass is weather proof, so you can leave it outside on the patio or balcony.
- Non-Toxic. PetZoom Pet Park is non-toxic and safe to use around your pet.
- Holds A Gallon of Liquid. The Pet Park can hold an entire gallon of liquid in the collection tray – just empty it at the end of the day.
- Reusable. The major advantage to the Pet Park is that it is reusable – simply rinse and reuse.
- Raised Mat Improves Sanitation. Fluid passes through a 3 stage protection process, letting the fluid pass through an anti-microbial mat, with the mat sitting above the liquid in the collection tray, keeping the top surface relatively fresh and sanitary.
The Pet Zoom synthetic grass potty pad is reusable, which can save on costs in the long run. Buyers note that the Pet Zoom Pet Park is made of good quality and is superior to other synthetic grass dog pee pads.
These pads are not a walk-in-the-park to clean. Owners go into detail about the rinsing, cleaning, and soaking that must be done to clean the pads and keep them from smelling.
After a while, the Pet Park synthetic grass pee pads maintain an odor and become increasingly difficult to keep smelling fresh.
About: The Hertzko Ultra-Absorbant Potty Pads are standard plastic pads that can be disposed of after use.
Where to Find It: Available from Amazon and other retailers.
- Size. Available in 22 x 22 inch dog training pads.
- Ultra-Absorbent. These dog potty pads are manufactured with 5 layers of protection and sealed edges, which makes them super absorbent and leak proof.
- No Spill. The centered laminate of these potty pads turns dog’s urine into gel to avoid spillage and tracking when disposing of used pads.
- Satisfaction Guarantee. These dog pee pads are 100% satisfaction and money back guaranteed.
- Pheromones. Contains pheromones to attract your dog to the center of the pad.
- Tear Resistant. Top layer is tear resistant, along with a impermeable bottom plastic layer, resulting in true leak and mess protection.
Most owners report great absorbency and leak resistance. The company also offers 100% satisfaction guarantee, which is always a plus.
These plastic dog potty pads are also less expensive than some of the alternatives listed above. For more info, see our full review on plastic indoor potty pads.
Some owners report urine leaking off the pads and the gel not solidifying the urine as it claims. These plastic puppy pee pads are not reusable and not eco-friendly, which is another downside.
Which Dog Potty Pad Is Right For You?
While the perfect potty pad for your and your dog is largely determined by personal preference and tastes, we recommend either Fresh Patch or DoggieLawn.
These natural dog pee pads made from real grass delight dogs, are easy to dispose of (with no mess), and are eco-friendly. We suggest you try either of those items out first and see if they work well for you and your dog!
Do you have any dog potty pad solutions you want to suggest? Share your thoughts in the comments. And if this article was useful, please make sure to share it around!