Venison is a great source of premium quality protein for your dog. Owners who want a venison dog food are often looking for an alternative to the standard chicken, pork, beef, and lamb formulas, which some dogs are allergic to.
Choosing A Dog Food Formula
When choosing the perfect dog food for your dog, consider these factors:
Allergies. Some dogs have allergies to certain grains or certain meats. Some signs that your dog could be allergic to the dog food: rashes, itching, paw biting, poor coat quality, excessive licking, nausea, gas, vomiting.
Behavioral Changes. Is your dog less active than usual? Is their temperament off? These may be signs that your current dog food isn’t working for your dog.
Taste Buds. Believe it or not, some dogs are just picky eaters! Dogs may prefer certain tastes and dog food formulas over others simply because they enjoy the taste of one formula more.
Age. Some dog food formulas are designed for puppies, while others are designer for adult dogs, and even senior dogs.
Venison Dog Food Quick Rating
|Venison Dog Food||Our Rating||Price|
|Taste Of The Wild Hi Prairie||$$|
|Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct||$|
|Nutro Natural Choice With Venison||$$|
|Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost||$$$$|
|Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison||$$$|
Our Top Picks:
For value, we suggest Taste of the Wild.
For best quality, go with Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost.
For detailed reviews of these venison dog foods, continue reading.
5 Best Venison Dog Foods
Here’s our run down of the five best venison dog food brands. We chose these brands based on their popularity, combined with ratings from other 3rd party dog food review sites.
- Real Roasted Meats. The Taste of the Wild’s Hi Prairie dog food is made with real roasted bison and venison, supplemented with fruits and vegetables.
- Grain Free? Yes
- Digestible Protein + Antioxidants. This dog food is packed with highly digestible protein (it has above-average protein and fat levels compared to other dog food).
- Meat is Primary Ingredient. This venison dog food mix’s first four ingredients involve meat, with no grain or bad carb ingredients. It has below-average carbohydrates, containing healthier complex carbs and protein instead.
- Available From Amazon. Taste of the Wild is available from Amazon.
- Real Turkey and Venison. Purina ONE SmartBlend is made with real turkey and venison, with turkey as the #1 ingredient.
- Gain-Free? No
- Natural Source of Glucosamine. This dog food contains natural sources of glucosamine, which supports healthy joints.
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids. This dog food’s Omega-6 fatty acid profile helps your dog develop healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- For Adult Dogs. This venison dog food formula is designed specifically for adult dogs.
- Sizes. Available in 3.8 lb / 7.4 lb / 15 lb / 27.5 lb bags.
- Available From Amazon. Purina ONE SmartBlend is available for purchase from Amazon.
- Ideal for Sensitive Stomachs. This venison dog food has limited ingredients, making it a great choice for dogs with sensitive systems.
- New Zealand Venison. This New Zealand venison provides a unique and high-quality source of protein that may be preferable for dogs who don’t enjoy or process other protein sources well.
- Grain-Free? No
- Better Skin Guarantee. With patented levels of Omega-6 fatty acid, zinc, and B vitamins, this dog food is guaranteed to improve your dog’s skin and coat, or else you’ll get your money back.
- Whole Gain Oatmeal. This dog food’s whole grain oatmeal is high in soluble fiber, making it easier to digest.
- Dogs Ages 1-7. Recommended for dogs age 1-7.
- Also Comes in Seafood and Chicken. This dog food also comes in a seafood and chicken version.
- Sizes. Comes in 5lb / 15lb / 30lb bags
- Available From Amazon. This dog food can be purchased online at Amazon.
- Freeze-Dried Raw Meat. This venison dog food comes with freeze-dried raw meat pieces, providing excellent taste and added nutrition matching what your dog would normally eat in the wild.
- Gain-Free? Yes. Nature Variety’s Instinct Raw venison dog food is grain-free, ensuring that your dog gets quality nutrition and protein.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids. This dog food’s Omega-6 and Omega-6 fatty acids will help your dog maintain healthy skin and coat.
- Several Choices. Available in a Venison & Lamb mix / Beef & Lamb / Chicken / Duck & Turkey / Lamb & Salmon.
- Sizes. Available in 4.1 lb / 12.3 lb / 23.5 lb packs
- Available From Amazon. This venison dog food is available from Amazon.
- Limited Ingredients. This Natural Balance dog food contains a limited number of protein and carbohydrate sources, making the food easier to digest.
- Grain-Free? Yes
- Omega-3 and Omega-6. This venison dog food contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acid profiles.
- Sweet Potatoes. This venison and sweet potatoes formula allows sweet potatoes to serve as the main carbohydrate. Sweet potato is a premium, quality carb that is easier to digest and rich in potassium, compared to other lesser carbs (like corn, grain, etc.)
- Sizes: Available in 4.5 lb / 13 lb / 26 lb bags
Sweet Potatoes, Venison, Potato Protein, Pea Protein, Canola Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potato Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Note: This dog food was reviewed with information from 3rd party dog food review sites like Dog Food Advisor. We did NOT try this dog food ourselves – we are providing a report based on outside sources and 3rd party reviews.
Do you have any recommendations for the best venison dog foods? Share your top picks in the comments!
For more tips on doggy dinner time, check out our post on the best food dispensing dog toys (to slow down hungry eaters).