Dog water dispensers are handy for owners who want to make sure their dog has an ongoing supply of clean, fresh water to drink from, without needing to constantly worry about changing water.
What Are Automatic Dog Waterers?
Automatic dog waterers are dog water bowls that provide your pup with ongoing, regular access to clean drinking water. Automatic dog waterers are especially useful for owners who don’t want to constantly be refilling their dog’s water bowls.
While many automatic dog waterers also qualify as dog water fountains, this isn’t true for all of them (several of our best picks below don’t use a flowing fountain system).
What Are the Benefits of Water Dispensers?
Automatic dog waterers are an added bonus for any dog owner. However, they’re especially handy for certain types of owners and dogs.
- Great For Owners Who Aren’t Home All Day. Owners who are at home with their dogs can change out their dog’s water bowl whenever the occasion arrises. However, owners who are away and are at work all day don’t have this option, so they may choose to use an automatic dog waterer instead, to ensure their pet has a constant supply of fresh water.
- Disabled or Immobilized. Owners who have a hard time getting around may choose to opt for an automatic water dispenser. This will save them several trips to the sink and back, as well as help them avoid the need to crouch or bend over in order to fetch the water bowl.
- Those Who Are Forgetful. How many times have you gone over to your dog’s water bowl, only to find it empty or with clumps hair and food in it? Sometimes we simply forget to check as often as we should. If you tend to be a forgetful person, an automatic dog waterer could be a solid solution.
- Dogs Prone to Kidney Disease. If you know that your dog is susceptible to urinary or kidney diseases, an automatic dog waterer can help prevent these illnesses through increase hydration.
- Picky Drinkers. Some dogs won’t drink from their water bowl unless it’s fresh water. If you’re concerned that your dog isn’t drinking enough and could potentially be dehydrated, a dog fountain is a solid solution.
Wondering if your canine might be hydrated? This video from Dr. Questen can help you determine if your pooch needs to up their water intake!
If you realize your dog is potentially dehydrated, you’ll absolutely want to consider investing in a dog waterer or dog fountain.
4 Best Automatic Dog Waterers
We’ve compiled a list of the best automatic dog waterers on the market. Many of these products are available at major pet stores, such as PetSmart and Petco. Owners can also find these dog waterers online via Amazon.
PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain
About: The PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain is an automatic dog water fountain bowl that encourages dogs to drink up and stay hydrated!
- 50 Ounce Capacity. Holds 50 ounce water capacity, which is perfect for small dogs and cats.
- Free-Falling Stream. The free-falling stream design encourages dogs to drink up!
- Replaceable Filter. Includes a replaceable carbon water filter that will keep your dog’s water tasting great and fresh.
- Adjustable Flow. Has a control knob that allows you to adjust the flow of water.
- Dishwasher Safe. This dog fountain is BPA free and is safe to be cleaned in the top shelf of your dishwasher.
Replendish Dog Waterer
About: The Replendish Dog Waterer is an automatic dog waterer that dispenses water into your dog’s bowl as he drinks.
- Huge Capacity. Holds 4 gallons of water (512 ounces)
- Several Colors. Available in brushed nickel, peacock blue, pearl blue, and pearl white colors.
- Made of PET Plastic. The Replendish Dog Waterer is made of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic, which is BPA-free and safe for canines.
- Keeps Water Fresh. This dog waterer uses a water filtration system to remove and reduce chemicals and chlorine, providing fresh water for your pooch!
- Microban Antimicrobial Protection. The base uses microban antimicrobial protection to prevent stain and odor-causing bacteria.
- Easy to Clean. The wide mouth bottle design makes this item easy to clean without too much effort.
PetSafe Multi-Tier Fountain
- 100 Ounce Capacity. Holds 100 ounces of water – one of the largest fountain capacities – making it ideal for dogs that drink a lot of water.
- Ideal for Seniors. The multi-layered drinking dishes provides an elevated level that is ideal for senior arthritic dogs, so that they don’t have to bend over.
- Free-Falling Water. The free-falling water design encourages dogs to drink more water and stay hydrated.
- Replaceable Carbon Filter. Replaceable filter allows owners to keep their dog’s water clean and tasty.
- Water Flow Control. Enables owners to adjust the flow of water to their liking.
- Easy to Clean. Fountain can be disassembled and parts can be cleaned in dishwasher (except for the pump).
H2O Dog Hydration System
- 1.5 Gallon Capacity. Has a large capacity of 1.5 gallons or 192 ounces.
- Wall Mount. Can be mounted on a wall or fence.
- Easy Drainage. Features a large and easy twist drain plug that flushes out old water.
- Auto-Fill. Uses a float valve to provide constant, auto-filling fresh water to your pooch (so long as the hose faucet is on).
- Not Just For Dogs. Also great for goats, sheep, horses, and other outdoor animals.
- Raised Design. The raised design of this bowl keeps water cleaner since dogs can’t get their paws near it. The raised design also makes this automatic dog waterer great for older, senior dogs.