Some dogs like it ruff and tear through normal toys like they’re nothing. But even rough and tough dogs deserve some solid toys in their lives (and you certainly don’t want to let your dog get bored, unless you’re totally fine with your dog tearing through your house and wreaking havoc!)
You want dog toys for your tough chewer, but the wrong type of dog toys won’t last a single hour. Even worse, when tough dogs chew through some dog toys, they risk seriously harming themselves. Just as owners of rough dogs often need to purchase chew-proof dog beds, you’ll need chew-proof toys as well!
In this guide, we’ll show you how to find dog toys built specifically with tough chewers in mind, plus we’ll share our top picks when it comes to rough and tough dog toys.
Dog Toys For Aggressive Chewers: Finding the Best Materials
When it comes to toys for tough canines, here are the materials that you want to seek out, and that materials you want to make sure to avoid.
Ideal Materials For Tough Dog Toys
- Rubber. The vast majority of dog toys created specifically with aggressive chewers in mind are made of rubber. Rubber is durable and virtually indestructible, so this material should be your first pick in a dog toy. Look for soft, malleable edges that are smooth and not sharp. Soft rubber toys are also great for puppies who are teething!
- Thick rope material. Rope toys are another popular dog toy for tough chewers. Rope toys are durable, easy to clean (just throw them in the wash), and relatively safe. Even if your dog ends up eating a few strands of cotton rope, it probably won’t send them to the emergency room. Even better, most rope toys can double as tug-of-war toys, providing fun for canines and their owners!
Materials to Avoid for Tough Dog Toys
- Squeaker toys. Squeaker toys are tons of fun for dogs, but the risks are just too high for tough chewers. Rough dogs can easily tear through most squeaky toys on their mission to find the squeaker. Once they find that squeaker, they usually eat it, and that’s no good.
- Plush or fleece toys. Plush and fleece toys are usually absolutely adorable. After all, who doesn’t want to see their dog chewing on a Darth Vader doll? However, these toys just aren’t an option for our tough boys and girls. They’ll tear right through these toys like butter and eat up the insides, causing digestive issues, discomfort, and potentially even more serious medical issues.
- Latex or vinyl toys. Again, these toys are often cute and fun, but they just aren’t durable enough for tough dogs. When dogs bite through toys like these, they can also create sharp edges that will destroy your dog’s mouth and cause extreme discomfort (as well as potentially lead to an infection).
For Tough Dog Toys, Get the Right Size
When it comes to getting the right dog toys for your aggressive chewer, it’s important to keep size in mind.
Toys that are too small can easily be choked on by larger dogs. Use the same discretion with dog toys as you would use with a baby – if it could potentially cause a choking hazard, avoid it at all costs. Make sure your dog toys are always too large to swallow!
Best Dog Toy Brands For Aggressive Chewers
Many dog toy companies market their toys as tough, but few stand up to the test. These manufacturers are proven pros when it comes to creating tough, durable dog toys that can withstand the powerful jaws of your chewer!
- Kong. Most famously known for their Kong ball, Kong creates some of the most durable dog toys on the market. They also have a pretty decent variety, providing balls, toys, snacks, and more. Many Kong toys also have a hole that can be filled with treats or goodies that will keep your dog occupied while you’re away (if you’ve got a Kong, make sure to check out our list of the best recipes to insert in your Kong ball!)
- West Paw Design. West Paw Design is another dog toy brand that does a really fantastic job at creating great dog toys for tough chewers. All their toys are made in the USA (Bozeman, Montana to be specific), safe, and 100% tough chewer guaranteed (which means you can send back any destroyed toy and get a new one for free). All their toys are also FDA-compliant and recyclable. See the full variety of West Paw Design’s great toys!
- Nylabone. Nylabone specialized in dental dog chews that help promote good canine hygiene. With chews and toys in a variety of sizes and designs, Nylabone are a favorite of veteranarians. Check out the full collection of Nylabone offerings!
8 Best Dog Toys for Aggressive Chewers
Here are our choice picks when it comes to the best dog toys for tough chewers. While no dog toy is 100% guaranteed to be indestructible, these dog toys come as close as it gets.
This dinosaur dental chew toy is a Nylabone favorite, featuring a kick-ass t-rex design. Watch your pup wrestle with a t-rex, all while cleaning his teeth!
- Designed specifically for tough chewers. This toy’s rounded nubs and bristles help clean teeth and control plaque and tartar build-up. And these pup toys are much more fun than trying to brush your dog’s teeth.
- Up to 50lbs. Said to be suitable for dogs that weight up to 50 lbs.
- Made in the USA. This chew is made in the USA – always good to see your dog toys aren’t coming from China.
- Available in several dino shapes. Maybe a t-rex isn’t cool enough for you. Maybe you need even MORE dino options. We feel ya, and luck for you, this toy is also available in Brontosaurus and Stegosaurus. Can’t choose just one? Grab the whole set of dino chew toys!
West Paw Hurley Tough Dog Bone
This West Paw Hurley Tough Dog Bone is a rough and tough dog toy for aggressive chewers – a bone-a-fide win, great for playing fetch or chew time.
- Floatable. This dog bone can float in water, making it great for playing fetch at the beach or pool.
- 100% damage free guarantee. If your dog destroys the Hurley bone, get a new one sent to you ASAP!
- Made in the USA. Manufactured in Bozeman, Montana, like all West Paw toys.
- Easy to clean. This toy can just be thrown in the dishwasher to be cleaned.
- Super safe. This toy is BPA-and-Phthalate-free, non-toxic, and FDA compliant.
West Paw Tux Stuffable Tough Treat Toy
The West Paw Tux Stuffable Treat Toy, designed for aggressive chewers, adds in the option to insert treats and goodies, which are dispensed as your dog plays.
- Hollow space for treat dispensing. You can stuff the Tux toy with treats, encouraging your dog to play and engage with the toy, keeping him stimulated.
- Floats, bounces, and flies. This dog toy can serve as a one stop shop for your canine fun – it can float, bounce, and be used for fetch!
- Easy to clean. As with the Hurley bone, the Tux can also be tossed in the dishwasher for a quick and easy cleaning.
- Ultra tough. The Tux is designed specifically for dogs that love to gnaw.
West Paw Bumi Tug-o-War
The Bumi Tog-o-War is yet another West Paw product, this time with a funky tug-of-war tough toy that aggressive chewers and humans will both enjoy!
- Tug away. This colorful tug-of-war toy can actually stretch to twice it’s length, for unlimited tugging potential!
- Unique “S” shape. Features unusual interactive shape that can let two dogs or humans and canines get in on the fun. Toy can be used to tug or to fetch.
- Easy on the mouth. While this toy is tough and durable, it’s also designed to be gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- Floatable. Like other West Paw dog toys, the Bumi also floats in water!
Tuffy Mega Boomerang
The Tuffy Mega Boomerang is one of the few dog toys for aggressive chewers made of fabric that can withstand those tough teeth!
- Available in several colors. Available in tiger, brick, or chain link design pattern.
- Floats. This is another tough chewer dog toy that floats!
- Machine washable. Just toss it in the machine to get it clean.
- Frisbee or tug. This toy can be used as a frisbee fetch toy or a tug-of-war toy.
- Tons of layered stitching and material. This Tuffy toy features several layers of luggage-grade material with several layers of cross stitching for additional safety and protection.
The Kong Flyer is a great durable dog toy from the Kong collection, fit for throwing with your furry friend.
- Tough and durable. The Kong Flyer is made out of the classic and trusted KONG natural rubber that’s also non-toxic.
- Ideal for fetch. This toy is perfect for playing fetch with your tough chewer.
- Super safe. Since the Kong Flyer is made of rubber, it’s softer on your dog’s teeth and gums than classic plastic frisbees.
- Available in several sizes. Comes in small and large size.
- Made in the USA. KONG toys are manufactured in the USA
Kong Extreme Rubber Ball
The Kong Extreme Rubber Ball is another highly-rated Kong product, tough enough to withstand aggressive chewers and their relentless teeth.
- Ultra bouncy and durable. This bouncy ball for chewers is the most durable dog ball on the market.
- Puncture resistant. This rubber balls claims to be completely puncture-resistant.
- Made in the USA. Like all KONG products, this rubber ball is made in the USA.
Mammoth Flossy 3-Knot Tug Rope
The Mammoth Flossy 3-Knot Tug Rope is a durable rope toy with double benefits, cleaning your dog’s teeth while you play!
- Several sizes. Comes in 5 different sizes and lengths depending on your dog.
- Promotes healthy dog teeth. The rope fibers will floss your dog’s teeth as he chews and tugs!
- Cottonblend of colors. Made with three different colors woven together for a fun design.
That concludes our list of the best, most durable dog toys for aggressive chewers! Do you have more toys to add to the list? Share your favorite rough and tough dog toys in the comments below!